Resident Evil 4 is a survival horror game developed and published by Capcom for various gaming platforms, including PlayStation 2, GameCube, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. It was first released in 2005 and has since become one of the most popular games in the Resident Evil series.
The game’s story follows Leon S. Kennedy, a former police officer who is now a U.S. government agent tasked with rescuing the President’s daughter, Ashley Graham, who has been kidnapped by a mysterious cult. Leon’s journey takes him to a remote village in Europe, where he encounters hordes of infected villagers and other grotesque creatures.
In the following section, I’ll discuss methods to fix the Resident Evil 4 Won’t Launch Issue.
How Do I Fix Resident Evil 4 Crashing at Startup Issue?
Here are some troubleshooting workarounds that can be implied to fix the Resident Evil 4 crashing at startup or not launching issue. I have listed various methods, by considering all the scenarios that can trigger this error.
Total Time: 6 minutes
Always ensure that your system has enough juice to run Resident Evil 4.
Operating System: Windows 10/11 (x64)
Processor: Intel i5 / AMD Ryzen equivalent
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB VRAM or equivalent AMD
DirectX: Version 12 or higher
Launch Resident Evil 4 as Administrator
First of all, you should try launching Resident Evil 4 with administrative rights. This would allow you to run the game without facing any blockades from antivirus software.
1. Right-click on the shortcut icon of Resident Evil 4 and select Properties.
2. Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the Run this program as administrator box.
4. Click on the Ok button.
Update GPU Drivers
Always ensure that your device drivers are updated to the latest build.
1. Especially, your graphics drivers should be updated to the latest patch.
2. Press the Win + X keys to launch the context menu.
3. Select Device Manager from the appearing menu.
4. Expand the Display Adapters tab.
5. Right-click on the GPU device and select Update Driver
6. Allow the system to update the files automatically.
Install Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Some Visual C++ Runtime files can get corrupted, so you should reinstall the C++ on your Windows PC.
1. Press the Win + I keys to launch Settings
2. Go to the Apps & Features tab.
3. Uninstall all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files.
4. Go to the Microsoft website to download the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
5. Now, install the downloaded files and reboot your system, after the successful installation.
Verify Resident Evil 4 Files
Players can also repair/verify Resident Evil 4 files directly from the Steam client. This would allow them to fix any corruptions from the game file directory, that are causing the crashing trouble.
1. Navigate to the Library section on Steam.
2. Right-click on Resident Evil 4 and select Properties.
3. Go to Local Files and click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
4. Relaunch Steam, once the verification is completed.
Force Start Resident Evil 4 with DirectX 12
Players can also launch Resident Evil 4 through DirectX 12 or above, directly from the Steam client.
1. Launch Steam and go to Library.
2. Now, right-click on Resident Evil 4 and choose Properties.
3. Navigate to the General tab.
4. Under Launch Options, type -dx12 and save changes.
5. Launch Resident Evil 4 on Steam.
Reinstall Resident Evil 4
As a last resort, you should reinstall Resident Evil 4 on your computer.
If you are playing it on Steam then here’s what you need to do:
1. Uninstall Resident Evil 4 from the Library section.
2. Close Steam and clear the cache memory of your system.
3. Launch Steam and reinstall Resident Evil 4.
That’s all, thanks for visiting it’sDailyTech.